This podcast focuses on the dynamic aviatrix Bessie Coleman.
Bessie Coleman was a pioneer in the field of aviation, not only as an African-American, but also as a woman. Unable to find training as a pilot in the United States, she went to France and return as the world’s first Black female pilot and soon began a career as a daredevil stunt pilot.Though she continued to struggle, she found other avenues to reach the public including the lecture circuit. She would not sell herself out, however, and walked away from a starring role in a motion picture which she thought was demeaning. Her tragic death shocked the aviation world but cemented her in the annals of flight.
Take a look at our Bessie Coleman profile.
- Bessie Coleman – Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Coleman
- BessieColeman.com - http://www.bessiecoleman.com/
- biography.com – Bessie Coleman - http://www.biography.com/people/bessie-coleman-36928
- American Experience (PBS) - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/flygirls/peopleevents/pandeAMEX02.html
- The Ninety-Nines - http://www.ninety-nines.org/index.cfm/bessie_coleman.htm